Diversity and Inclusion
THB is committed to supporting diversity and creating an inclusive culture across our company. Our business is all about people and we need diverse teams to ensure that we deliver the best possible solutions for our customers’ risk and insurance needs. We aim to attract the top talent from all backgrounds and groups as we believe diversity is important to our business success.
Why? Because a varied workforce brings new ideas, better engagement with our customers and a fairer company.
“We recognise an opportunity for THB to become known as the place for people of all profiles and backgrounds to develop their careers in insurance and risk management”.
In memory of our friend and colleague
We are committed to taking positive steps to attract diverse talent and enabling all our employees to develop and thrive.
- We have established a D&I Steering Group that works with the leadership team to accelerate cultural change and provide a sounding board for practical diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- We have introduced Early Careers initiatives, with our Insight, Internship and Graduate Programmes. These give students and undergraduates the chance to learn about our business and we are working with external organisations and networks to increase the diversity of candidates presenting for all these Programmes.
- We have set up internal networking groups for Young Professionals and Women@THB, creating more opportunities for THB employees to meet, discuss issues that matter to them and spend time with members of the leadership team.
- We launched a formal Mentoring Programme in 2016 with a particular focus on sponsorship for women. Our commitment is that any woman who wants a mentor will have one.
- We participate in and sponsor market wide inclusion initiatives. We were among the first brokers to sign up to the Lloyd’s Diversity & Inclusion Charter and our membership of the Employer’s Network of Equality and Inclusion gives us access to high quality, practical advice to support the development and implementation of our plans in this area.
- We have commitment from the top, as our CEO, Frank Murphy, has signed the industry’s Inclusive Behaviours in Insurance Pledge to confirm our commitment to inclusion and the actions we will take if individual behaviours fall below our expectations.
Big Company Resources, Family Company Values.
Our values define who we are, what we do, and how we do it. Our core values and behaviours lie at the heart of THB. While we come from different backgrounds and cultures, our values are what we have in common. They guide how we work with our clients and each other, inform the type of work we do and determine our success. This is how we do business:
We demonstrate this behaviour by trusting that if we do the right things we will get the right results; being fair with both our internal and external customers and transparent in all our business dealings acting with integrity and having the courage and professionalism to take responsibility for our actions.
We demonstrate this behaviour by working hard and having fun in what we do; supporting.our colleagues to grow professionally and personally therefore creating a collaborative, diverse and inclusive workforce.
We demonstrate this behaviour by relentlessly pursuing excellence and delivering the highest quality performance in everything we do. Through creativity and innovation we seek to continuously improve. We are committed to personal growth and professional development and take responsibility to develop our knowledge and skills so that we are experts in what we do.
We look to all employees to meet the highest ethical standards when delivering quality work, recognising that we all have a part to play in making our values matter.
There are a number of different roles at THB, from broking and technical support to IT and Finance. The profiles below give an idea of what our people have to say:
James Panayi, Analyst
As a recent graduate, I could not have asked for a more welcoming and enjoyable place to begin my career in IT. As a Service Desk Analyst I have learnt a vast amount since working here and have been provided with a lot of help with my personal development. After being here for a year I can honestly say there is never a dull day at THB!
Tom Keogh, Associate Director
My day to day role is hard work but rewarding. It consists of seeing underwriters in Lloyd’s and tailoring risks to suit clients' needs. I particularly enjoy the interaction with clients and underwriters. THB is a small, but ever-growing firm, and a great place to work.
Carolyn Powell, Team Leader
I would describe THB as an excellent company to work for providing good benefits for employees; there are also lots of training opportunities and ways to further your personal development. I really enjoy my job and the people I work with.
Natalie Walker, Claims Manager
THB have supported my career development from being a Junior Claims Administration Assistant through to a Claims Manager by recognising my hard work and achievements. After 13 years’ service I can honestly say I’ve never had the Monday morning blues, I bet not many people can say that!
Sarah Brailey, Divisional Director
I have recently returned from maternity leave, which can be an anxious time for professional women in today’s market, but THB were extremely understanding and encouraging throughout that period. Thanks to [THB] I have come back to work full-time and I am able to work from home two days a week, which is the perfect work / life balance for me. THB are very focused on Diversity and I am a true example of how supportive they are of working parents.
Message from Frank Murphy, CEO of THB Group
THB is part of a truly global organisation (AmWINS) with the infrastructure, global connections and market power that this brings. We now have more potential revenue streams than ever before – both globally and on a national level.
Our employees have the skill sets, the work ethic and the entrepreneurial spirit to succeed in everything they do. They embrace the challenges we face and meet them with enthusiasm. At THB, we have a ‘one company’ ethos, which directs the way we work, and ensures that we think on a company level rather than an individual or team level.
As well as working hard to drive growth, there are also some great examples of the strong culture that exists in our company. This can be seen in the tremendous contribution by so many of our staff to good causes in our local communities and beyond.
My message to our employees is always to take care of our clients, be the best they can be, but don’t for one second doubt that they are an important part of the wider group strategy. Everyone at THB matters and everyone must take responsibility for their contribution to the wider business.